Wednesday 23 January 2013

A Tale of Two Lives..


So it’s been two years, give or take, since I made my bid for freedom. That makes me sound far more courageous than I actually am. Truth be known had my big little brother not been there at the time my life would not be what it is today, assuming I would actually have survived...
I’d had enough, enough of the beatings, the control, of basically living in fear. I feared not only for me and my safety but for my two little girls.
For months, well honestly probably more years I’d been looking for ways out. I’d tried to get away, though I probably wasn’t as committed as I could have been. Something had changed this night, what I have no idea, but, there had been a definite shift. I was going to end it and regain my self- respect, my dignity and my freedom. 
I marched into the living room bold and brazen (my brother was sat on the sofa) and told my abusive partner of 4 years that it was over. Then promptly left the room leaving my big little brother to deal with fallout (like I said nowhere near as courageous as I’d have you believe), while took myself off to bed.
The following morning, with the help of the brother, I packed enough clothes and toys to see us through and left.
Was it really going to be SO easy to walk away, was he going to let me go after all this time and all those threats of unspeakable cruelties to not only me but my friends and family? Of course not.
So despite it having been two years, give or take, am I yet really free and more importantly will I ever be?

No comments:

Post a Comment